[BITList] Earths

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 28 20:20:05 BST 2010

Over the past 9 months or so, Scottish Water have dug up two large areas in front of our house and performed whatever they perform, deep down in the giant holes. In neither case were we told in advance that we'd have no access to our front door for 2 weeks, nor would some of our neighbours (as I said, they were big holes).  The foreman, who wasn't pleased at having to get the second hole dug, told us it was typical of these &%$£&%s not to tell us in advance.  This morning we all got a package of papers and notes announcing even more digging in unspecified locations and at unspecified dates and times. At the top of one of these bits of paper it says, Warning (in red) : it is dangerous to use metal water service pipes as electrical earths.  I generally use copper wire for earthing, but I read on.  Apparently it has been illegal since 1966 to earth a UK domestic el system via the water pipes.  First I heard of it, and I don't know of a house that is not so earthed.  Our house was built in 1967 and was delivered to us comprehensively earthed via the water pipes. It makes sense to allow for the later insertion of any length of plastic pipe by bridging it with a wire suitably clamped, but the leaflet implies it is dangerous and illegal regardless.  In fact, what they are saying is that whatever they do down their holes with plastic water mains may render our (illegal) earths useless, so if falls on us to hire electricians to do the needful, whatever that is, for money.  Question, how should one earth an electrical system other than by metal water pipes that go into the ground?  A big spike?  I think they're trying to forestall legal rouble via a smokescreen.