[BITList] Outlook Express, etc, etc

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 13 11:32:43 BST 2010

Mike,

I always mean to delete e-mails I'm finished with, but rarely get round to
it.  If people would only send extremely boring stuff for a while, the kind
I could bin on sight,  that would give me a chance to go through the backlog
without the added labour of dealing with a fresh input.  On changing to
Firefox, etc, when I allowed through some MS updates a couple of weeks ago,
a shortcut appeared giving me the option of downloading and using Mozzilla,
Firefox, etc.  I can only think this came from MS.  I might have a go.

Change of subject.  Though I no longer attend church (matters of principle
to do with the roof repair, not religious), a lady there offered me 2
tickets to the launch at BAE Systems (Govan) of HMS Duncan, last of the Type
45 destroyers to be built.  She was running a bus there and back, and had
spare seats.  As you will recall, Friday was a cloudless day, brilliant
sunlight.  It was strange being in that yard and not being of it.  We
followed the crowds (13,000 by the time they all got in) and chose not to
use our tickets for the "enclosure",  feeling there was a better view from
further back. Also, there was a vacant space at a railing to lean on - the
launch was still 2 hours away.  Hundreds of small boys on dads' shoulders,
hooting and hollering when she slid down.  I hope they remember it, for it's
likely they won't see another.  When I was a lad, as many as a dozen
launches a year took place in this town (Port Glasgow) - I can still
remember some of the names.

The BBC coverage of the launch was superficial (for all any viewer could see
it was attended by only a few dozen), but not as superficial as their
coverage of HM's naming of the Queen Elizabeth in Southampton the same day.