[BITList] Comet 4C Simulator Films

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Tue Oct 12 14:41:14 BST 2010

>From another List...

Enjoy.

At last I have got my Comet simulator project to the stage where I could make some films. There's still quite a lot to do, but I made some recordings (carefully avoiding the daggy bits) and posted them on YouTube.

I decided the best demonstration would be to follow the real check list. With some shock, I found it took no fewer than 399 individual checks and actions to get a Comet from stone cold to 1000 ft above a runway. It took me more than two hours to get through them. A great opportunity to discover bugs and fix them, but a film that long would test the patience of even the staunchest plane spotter!

So my script for the films was edited very aggressively. They're in two sequences of roughly ten minutes each: a Dan Air departure from Gatwick and a Mexicana arrival at Mexico City. The Gatwick film is divided into four parts, because the check lists were arranged that way. The Mexico City film is in one ten-minute piece.

These are the links:

1: Initial checks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrRwLJKCJ7w

2: Start engines