[BITList] Winston Churchill Hits the British Pop Charts

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 6 13:25:42 BST 2010

John,

Daughter Susan bought me a CD of the Squadronaires the other day - I've been playing it, and Humphrey Lyttleton, while redecorating this room.  Janet got a 5-disk Vera Lynn set from the same daughter, so we are well into the WW2 nostalgia here.  Humph is not WW2, of course - the Squadronaires date from 1939.  Humph takes me back to my pre-BI days when the jazz collection was lugged from house to house along with a turntable. And, circa 1957 while with BI, I attended what I thought was a concert in London that turned out to be a dance with Humph playing.  My innocent revelation of this caused an angry letter to be sent from Janet, not then my spouse, and (so she wrote), not likely ever to be such if my licentious behaviour continued.  I exaggerate, of course, but you get the drift.  As for WW2, it is easy to be nostalgic when one experienced it as a child in Port Glasgow.  Somewhere in the recesses of my psyche there must reside a reaction to having no father for 4 years while being roused every night for months to run to a shelter, but it must be deeply buried, for I had a great time.