[BITList] 2nd term

s14engine s14engine at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 3 05:57:07 BST 2010

?a ha, dave

thereby hangs a tale........................'twas only by political shenanigans that he became president anyway c/o a big bush supporter - the florida secretary of state, Kathleen Harris [another evangelical christian] ; see below......................................
The presidency of George W. Bush began on January 20, 2001, when he was inaugurated as the 43rd President of the United States of America. The oldest son of former president George H. W. Bush, George W. Bush was elected president in the 2000 general election, and became the second US president whose father had held the same office (John Quincy Adams was the first).

After two recounts, Democratic presidential candidate Vice President Al Gore filed a lawsuit for a third. The Supreme Court's decision in Bush v. Gore resolved the dispute. The Florida Secretary of State certified Bush as the winner of Florida. Florida's 25 electoral votes gave Bush, the Republican candidate, 271 electoral votes, enough to defeat Al Gore.

In my opinion Bush was re-elected because the US was in a "war mode" following 9/11. Bush promised to "kick ass" and duly attacked iraq then got into afghanistan; this appeased those crying for revenge and many were carried along on this wave of righteous fervour - fanned by lies from Cheney and Rumsfeld. Probably many wanted to return to the yee-haw days of Reagan and his republican values.

although few realised it at the time, this misplaced patriotic zeal heralded the death throes of the USA as a country that could kick-ass with impunity.  No longer would the USA be the biggest and the best.

the tea party movement is a knee-jerk reaction from older white american republicans to the reality that the USA is no longer the biggest and the best, that they will be a minority in the not too distant future and the days of wine and roses are winding down for them. Instead of blaming bush43 who is the real culprit for the loss of their comfortable middle class life-style, they turn their spitefulness on obama and democrats.

additionally, I don't need to mention that these people are not at all enthused by having an extremely erudite and smart black as their president.........................with all that they believe this entails [their misguided thoughts on the subject are enthusiastically inflamed by the talking heads/racists on radio and TV - led by loony limbaugh, brainless beck, but there are plenty of others].

I am not surprised the americans you have spoken to are unable to explain bush's second term - they were no doubt white, middle class republicans.

colin t