[BITList] Education: pupils will lose marks for poor grammarandspelling - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 20 21:38:39 GMT 2010

Mike,

We are told Scottish education is/was better than the English, but I can't
say if it's true in general or at all.  Much depends on the school, as the
following will illustrate.  On the 9th of April, 1941, my younger brother
Iain and I boarded a grey bus outside Chapelton School, Port Glasgow, labels
with ID attached, and we were driven all the way (about 10 miles) to the
village of Kilbarchan as evacuees.  This took us further from the shipyards,
etc, and gave mother a chance with the other 3 siblings when the sirens
went.  It didn't take us any further from the Ordance Factory at Bishopton,
though.  We attended the school in Kilbarchan, and (like you) we found we
were way ahead of our new classmates.  Our glory didn't last - Iain got
chickenpox, and I went with him to Greendykes Hospital in Johnstone (I've
never been able to trace it - Janet reckons it was Johnstone ID Hospital
under a fancy name).  We didn't go back to the Wilkies on Dalhousie Road -
when Iain recovered, we went back to the bombs on the 8th of July.
Attendance 28 days out of a possible 42, my Pupil's School Record book says
(I was given it when I left school), so we were in hospital 14 days, give or
take a couple.  I had my 8th birthday in Kilbarchan.  I got chickenpox
later.  One of these days I must go back to Kilbarchan and have a look at
Dalhousie Road.  It looks just the same on Google - a long line of villas
with fields at the end.  For somewhere so close, Kilbarchan isn't easy to
get to.  We used to drive through the outskirts on our way to Greenacres for
a game of curling.