[BITList] NYTimes.com: Worm Was Perfect forSabotagingCentrifuges

FS franka at iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 19 22:36:17 GMT 2010

Hugh,
The motors are controlled by a frequency controller the frequency of
which is set by the software in-bedded in the system by introducing a
worm (a piece of malicious code) into the software the controller can be
made to do things that the original unadulterated software would not
have allowed hence the ability to wind the motor frequency up to twice
to three times its base speed or down to almost zero the other way with
no loss of torque, much easier than changing belts or gears so if one
was to assume that the supply frequency is 50Hz and a 2pole motor used,
the base speed would be 3000rpm x what ever the output ratio is in this
case probably around 4/1 which the frequency controller would normally
bring down to around 11500 so if the worm has the controller wind the
centifuge up to doulble its design speed one gets rather interesting
results bit like the airbus380 turbine disc disintegrating
frank