[BITList] Drifting Camera: They That Are Left 2010

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Wed Nov 17 15:22:48 GMT 2010

G'day Hugh,

On 18/11/2010, at 12:04 AM, HUGH wrote:

<< Mogaung rings a bell, but it isn't mentioned in the only account of Dad's regiment's service I've found (attached).  His army papers, maps and such are up in the loft, and I spent too much time up there this morning to want to go back up.  What little he ever said was never to us - we picked up bits from conversations he had with others in the first few weeks after he came home.  Mules laden with ammunition and mortars (he was in a mortar platoon) falling down slopes, wearing a condom at all times against the leeches, fellow soldiers getting shot dead by sentries while playing silly buggers in the jungle, sticking a bayonet in anything that looked like a "dead" Japanese.  Great fun.  >.

Thanks for that.

Copy and paste this into Google.

"the forgotten army"

You might remember seeing Errol Flynn in movies where he played the part of a USA officer - the film was about Burma and how the yanks won the war there.

OTOH the movie was forgettable.