[BITList] ABC Radio

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Tue Nov 16 12:25:54 GMT 2010

G'day folks,

Just driving home and listening to an old MN guy talking on the radio.

He was at sea during the war. He was telling us about the fact that in the early pat of the war if a ship was sunk, the owners stopped the pay of all the crew on the grounds that they weren't able to do any work.

Sounds of "What?" from the radio crew ...

He then said that they often wondered why the owners didn't charge them rent during their time in the lif-boats.

Loud sounds of hilarious laughter from the radio crew in the studio.

When asked how he came to be Australian he said that in 1946 he was paid off in Melbourne and then joined an Australian company. They gave him a Seaman's ticket with his photo on it. That was his ID.

Years later, in the 1970s he applied for an Australian passport only to be told that he was an alien. More loud laughter.

I had then driven into my garage so I didn't hear any more.......