[BITList] Dr. Ken Robinson talks about schooling and education

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 2 14:50:32 GMT 2010

I started off in a sceptical mood, but I ended up agreeing the man has a point, though I didn't agree with all he said.  Education for the masses was NOT invented to suit the needs of the industrial revolution, at least, not everywhere.  An impressive talk, and without notes.

The only time I was threatened with dance at school was during the runup to the school leaving dance.  Lessons were laid on in a hall down the hill from the school, with a strict lady tutor.  Not on your Nelly, I said, and didfn't attend.  Sitting beside a girl as a punishment in class was one thing - making an exhibition of myself in public while clutching one was quite another thing.  In those days, boys and girls were separate, all bar one lad who used to carry a girl's books for her.  We viewed him with disdain.  Last I heard, he had made a career as an actor.  By the time I wished to go dancing, before BI, I lacked the requisite skill.  My pals, all bar one, were in similar straits, so we went up to Alice McEwan's Dance Academy on Sauchiehall Street and learned quickstep, foxtrot, slow foxtrot and tango.  Our tutor was a short, dapper gent with slicked back hair.  So, we didn't tread on many toes, once let loose.