[BITList] ALZHEIMER COLOR TEST

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 2 09:14:25 GMT 2010

I've still got my Diwa Log Log No 101 slide rule, made in Denmark.  It's in as good nick as the day I got it around 1951, though the case is a bit grotty.  Kincaid apprentices were each given 1000 points at the start of a year, and at the end of the year what was left after deductions for very bad timekeeping, arson, rape and destroying engines was converted into vouchers redeemable in McGilvray's ironmongers across from the Victoria Harbour (the latter is still there), or in McKelvie's, stationers and  booksellers, further along the town.  McKelvie's burned down years ago, a sad loss that has never been replaced. I got my slide rule that way, and a pair of Riefler compasses and a steel rule (Imperial), plus sundry plastic squares and curves.  Still got all of these.  The slide rule was only used for rough calculations - for big stuff we used a cylindrical version with a 50 foot scale.

My Casio fx/250D calculator was bought in the 70s, and it's still on the original battery.  My recollection of using a calculator in an exam was that it was allowed if the stuff being calculated was routine, nothing really to do with the subject, ie, just basic arithmetic ; or statistics for people who went down the social sciences line, but didn't want too much to do with your actual mathematics.  For real maths, a calculator is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.