[BITList] bp spill

CT's x50type at cox.net
Thu May 20 13:58:23 BST 2010

shop vac to the rescue, every little helps..................

and on one a patch  of oil/water 10 miles x 3 miles  x 100 yds [>9 trillion cubic yards, 1 cu yd = 200 US galls], one shop vac   --- will  take how long?

ct

Kevin Costner-backed device heading to Gulf oil spill

David Blake / Jay Vise Reporting

An oil spill separator machine being promoted by movie star Kevin Costner is going to be used on the Gulf oil leak.

BP watched a demonstration of the device last week, and has now agreed to a full test of the device.

It appears Costner's $24 million dollar investment maybe about to pay off.

John Houghtailing is the CEO of the company Ocean Therapies and describes the machine as a giant "Shop Vac."

When placed on a barge the machine can reportedly suck up the oily water at a rate of 200 gallons per minute, according to Houghtailing.

"Within a week, we're going to be separating oil from water," according to Houghtailing.

Listen to WWL's David Blake's interview with Houghtailing
      Listen:

Houghtailing says they could use as many as ten of the machines in the Gulf, each machine is capable of cleaning almost 300,000 gallons of polluted water a day.

"When BP sees it working, we've got another 20 from the factory that we have on trucks, ready to be trucked down here," he said.

Although this will be major test, there is no big contract with BP just yet.

However, Houghtaling says he's very optimistic this could be a "win-win" for everyone.