[BITList] Aussies are the best

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Tue May 11 13:33:24 BST 2010

G'day Hugh.

> All was going well until I got to the bit about the unconditional solidarity
> with the USA in its schemes.  Surely not ?

Aussies have along memory of what the Brits have done to this country.

First they sent a large bunch of crims here.

Next they didn't provide any food or other supplies for the said crims so the Officer Corp started selling the crims rum. The Officer Corps had a momlpoly of the import of rum..

Then they forbade any shipping to bring supplies from the closest place able to supply the new colony, namely India - (The EIC had a monopoly if you remember, on all trade in this part of the world). Hence the Rum rebellion came about.

Then they shot an Australian Soldier, Breaker Morant, (born in the UK, I believe) in the Boer War for crimes that the Poms were doing.

See...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaker_Morant

and...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/7207443/Australia-asks-Queen-to-pardon-disgraced-Boer-War-soldiers.html

Then they asked for Aussies soldiers of Gallpoli to go and fight the battles in Gallipoli. And the man who sent them there was a certain WSC. After Gallipoli they sent the survivors to be sent as cannon fodder  to the guns of the Some etc.

This same WSC in the second World War, refused to send back the Aussies fighting in North Africa when the Japs were pushing gown towards Australia. Remember the two RN ships sent to defend Singapore and Australia were sunk of Malaya by the Japs.

When the Aussie PM demanded that the troops be sent back to defend their homeland WSC finally agreed but when the vessels were in the INdian Ocean he countermanded his orders and directed them to proceed to the impregnable Island that is called Singapore.

The Aussie PM again demanded that the vessel be sent to Australia. Thankfully, for Australia, they were and some of those troops were used to defend the Kokoda Track and helped to reverse the Japanese advance on Australia.

Hugh, don't start me off. There's more.

I haven't even got to the cricket and the scandal of the 'Bodyline series'.