[BITList] on and on - more Nuclear submarines

CT's x50type at cox.net
Tue May 4 17:10:59 BST 2010

great research, hugh

the info about the crosby style hb-bp valve does not say specifically what type of nuclear power plant it is designed for, but as the valve is not allowed to discharge into the atmosphere it does not appear to be for our pwr submarine application.

the guardian articles clearly states the blocked valves are on the hull of the submarine and this, "meant that steam from nuclear-powered boilers could not have been released in an emergency, leading to a potentially disastrous build-up of pressure. John Large, a consultant on nuclear safety who advises governments on submarine safety, said: "It was a very significant failure. These two submarines were unfit for service. It was a perilous situation." He said sealing these valves was like blocking the valve on a domestic pressure cooker. If pressure had built up to dangerous levels, the submarine's steam circuit could have burst, leaking radioactivity into the submarine and shutting down the reactor. "There would be a risk of fatalities," Large said. "This was such a glaring and fundamental omission. It's jaw-dropping."

I love the jaw dropping bit - such an apt description from a consultant on nuclear safety!

I don't know who came up with the nuclear powered boiler bit -- there ain't no nuclear powered boilers [there are two heat exchangers heated by hot water].

are there really steam safety valves on the pressure hull that can pop off regardless of the submerged depth of the submarine? I don't think so either.

a number of newspapers have reported on the same incidents but their descriptions vary, some more sensible than others  - could it be a case of misinformation, misunderstanding and sensationalism? surely not

I may email Large and Associates - they may know about the hull valves.