[BITList] more Nuclear submarines went to sea withpotentiallydisastrous defect | UK news | The Guardian

CT's x50type at cox.net
Tue May 4 00:09:30 BST 2010

exactly, hugh

believe steam pressure about 400 psi.

ct

From: HUGH
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 4:34 PM
To: bitlist at lists.bcn.mythic-beasts.com
Subject: Re: [BITList] more Nuclear submarines went to sea withpotentiallydisastrous defect | UK news | The Guardian

Colin,

Like you, I am not familiar with the arrangements for conducting waste steam out of submarines.  I was never in the sub squad during my two spells with Scotts of Greenock, and in any case their subs were all diesel electric. The range of pressures into which the discharge could go would make an interesting problem, give the steam would be at nominally constant pressure. For example, fluid at 20 bar would not go into external water at 30 bar.  So the blow off ishteam would have to be at a pressure higher than the static head from the maximum possible operating depth.

BITList at lists.bcn.mythic-beasts.com