[BITList] more Nuclear submarines went to sea with potentially disastrous defect | UK news | The Guardian

CT's x50type at cox.net
Mon May 3 16:45:29 BST 2010

hugh

the following is from the guardian's article on the nuclear submarine safety valve blanking................................

John Large, a consultant on nuclear safety who advises governments on submarine safety, said: "It was a very significant failure. These two submarines were unfit for service. It was a perilous situation."

He said sealing these valves was like blocking the valve on a domestic pressure cooker. If pressure had built up to dangerous levels, the submarine's steam circuit could have burst, leaking radioactivity into the submarine and shutting down the reactor. "There would be a risk of fatalities," Large said. "This was such a glaring and fundamental omission. It's jaw-dropping."

I do hope john lange doesn't tout himself as a nuclear safety "expert".

the pwr steam circuit is not radioactive, there being no radiological shielding or containment around piping, turbines, etc. a steam system burst/leak would not "leak radioactivity".
depending on how why and where, I'm not saying it would be pleasant. the steam produced is not superheated, so a leak would not be hard to find.

on the other hand the boiling water reactor [not used in warships] steam circuitry, etc. is shielded - there being short lived radioactivity present during operation.

the article, and mr. lange seem to believe the heat exchanger safety valves are located on the pressure hull, like a pressure cooker. I am not sure if that is the case and I can't be bothered to look to find out.

I agree with you - Non technical people, especially those on the Independent,  shouldn't write about technical matters,