[BITList] found penguins

CT's x50type at cox.net
Fri Mar 19 03:11:21 GMT 2010

Subject: found penguins

hugh

you may recall me asking you a few weeks ago if chocolate penguins were still made.
you replied you were actually eating one that very moment.
well, I was looking round my local indian shop for papadams when I espied something I have never seen here before, in fact I can't remember when I last saw them [50 years ago?].........................

PENGUINS - "milk chocolate covered biscuit bars filled with chocolate cream".
Still made by McVitie's apparently, whose address is given as ashby-de-la-zouch, where I suppose they are made [but they could be made in poland or roumania, etc.].

not only was I happy to see them, I was thrilled that the maker holds an appointment to her majesty the queen as biscuit manufacturers.  McVitie and Price, Edinburgh.

so I P..P..P..Picked up a Penguin.
Not only that, if I find a missing penguin inside I will win a family holiday to south africa - or 1 of 200 family zoo tickets!
oh, happy day - first the good news - lo, verily I did find a missing penguin in my packet of penguins; the bad news is that the promotion has expired, so I don't get to see south africa nor the zoo.............................
what bad luck...........

however, they do taste the same as I remember. the major change is the size; in 50+ years the size has shrunk to half what it was!

but they are a good source of calcium, have no artificial colours or flavours, have no hydrogenated vegetable oil and appear to be calorie free, what more could I ask for?