[BITList] Fwd: a garden that was paradise on earth

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Wed Mar 17 12:27:12 GMT 2010

His mother was a monster - but together they made a garden that was paradise on earth

CHRISTOPHER LLOYD: HIS LIFE AT GREAT DIXTER BY STEPHEN ANDERTON (Chatto & Windus £20)

 16th March 2010

During this chilly March weather when winter's dregs are desolate and frost is 'spectre-grey', in Thomas Hardy's unforgettable lines, hands all over the country are itching for the new planting season to begin.

Gardening is our national passion as much as football. Gardeners are stars of radio and television (and, unlike footballers, write their own books).

Christopher Lloyd, who died in 2006, was beyond question one of the great English gardeners.

He devoted his whole life to one garden, the one he was born into, Great Dixter in East Sussex.

By garden I mean a domain. The plan of Dixter printed at the beginning of this biography shows us the meadow garden, the high garden, the lavender garden, the sunk garden, the topiary lawn, the rose garden and the long border - which he made 300ft (100 yards) long. Enough to keep a man busy for a lifetime. [snip]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-1258390/His-mother-monster--garden-paradise-earth-CHRISTOPHER-LLOYD-HIS-LIFE-AT-GREAT-DIXTER-BY-STEPHEN-ANDERTON.html#