[BITList] Precise Bottom Of A MIG-15's Loop--Amazing

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 07:04:00 GMT 2010

OOOPS!

 THE WORLD’S RECORD FOR LOW FLYING AND LIVED TO TELL ABOUT IT

Contributor says : " The tail strike occurred during at a 1990 air show in   Harrison  ,  Arkansas  .  Photographer, who was a technician for the FAA and somewhat of a camera buff, was tracking with his camera, as this guy looped off the deck  in a MiG-15.
 The pilot had just completed a loop and misjudged his pull-out.  Everyone considering themselves as potential victims, took-off running in all directions.
But the photographer had a non-threatening position along with a strong motivation to take the picture. So just as the MiG scraped the ground, he captured this rare image.

Had it been circulated at the time, this once in a lifetime photograph might have earned an award.

A few weeks later, in  Fort Smith  , the photographer was showing me these pictures he had developed at a local Walmart. I asked him for a copy and now have it hanging on my office wall - a clear depiction of the tiny difference between life and death.

Oh, by the way, the guy just made a wide circle, lowered his landing gear, touched down . . then taxied in showing scratched paint, but no sheet metal damage. Speaks volumes about the  product.....