[BITList] did you know?

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 27 14:35:44 BST 2010

So, the community should have the right to ban brothels?  I have no problem with the concept of a brothel free place, but it's either the law of the land (not the community) that brothels may trade, or it's not.  I doubt if it's the law nowadays in Australia that a community (however the mayor defines that) may have a wee vote to ban things.  In Scotland there used to be a law, called the Veto something or other, that allowed the existence of licensed premises in a town or village (in Scotland, these sell drink) to be subject to a referendum of the ratepayers.  So Kilmacolm 3 miles from here was a dry area for many many years, 7 days a week no pubs.  This was at the time when, to get a drink of something sensible on a Sunday, one had to be "a bona fide traveller", so people bona fidely travelled to a hotel and had a sandwich - legally a meal - and a drink - legally the accompaniment to the meal.  This nonsense was thrown out years ago.