[BITList] Vive l’entente cordiale!

FS franka at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 19 15:20:05 BST 2010

On this, the 70th anniversary of General Charles de Gaulle’s first
broadcast to the French resistance from London, it is perhaps as well
that the former minister for European Affairs, Chris Bryant, will not be
there to welcome the visiting French president, Nicolas Sarkozy.

I am not a huge admirer of Sarkozy, who has been known to let rip
verbally in some awkward places, but even the President’s
well-documented “awkwardness” is not matched by a minister for Europe
who describes French as a “useless” modern language.

One wonders how a man whose preference for foreign language learning
places Mandarin at the forefront could ever have been considered for
such a position.

At this point I would have said something about his Tory or Lib Dem
replacement, but…..your new Prime Minister is so keen on the European
Union that….there appears to be NO replacement.

You may draw your own conclusions. Vive l’entente cordiale!