[BITList] More God almighty

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 16 11:37:06 BST 2010

Frank McAveety, Member of the Scottish Parliament (Labour) is in trouble over remarks he made that were picked up by a microphone.  One assumes the microphone then took them to the press along with a complaint.  The remarks were made to someone sitting beside him.  A Labour Party spokesman said, "Mr McAveety is very sorry for any offence caused by his remarks."

What were his remarks?

"There's a very attractive girl in the second row.  Dark and dusky.  Nice - very nice.  The heat's getting to me.  She's got that Filipino look, you know.  The kind you would see in a Gaugin painting."

There being no clues in the article, one is left to work out what bit is supposed to be offensive, and to whom.  My money's on "The heat's getting to me," clearly a reference to the inadequate ventilation.