[BITList] Scots: an auld dug with plenty of bite | Brian Logan | Comment is free | The Guardian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 8 08:39:43 BST 2010

John,

Her name has just come into my mind - Lily Irvine, though we called her
Miss.  She and her older (she looked older) sister were spinsters - the
other was the music teacher.  They were nice old dears - firm, but never got
rattled. Question is, did you pronounce the "r" in the middle of "soared"?
There are two streets in Greenock - Shaw Street and Shore Street.  A certain
type of voice on the BBC would give us Shaw as Shore and Shore as Shaw.
They are far apart, so asking directions of a native could lead to a long
walk for nothing.