[BITList] Scots: an auld dug with plenty of bite | Brian Logan| Comment is free | The Guardian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 7 21:42:53 BST 2010

Mike,

It's "the Doric" - the dialect associated with the Aberdeen area.  When I
was 3rd on Dilwara, both Jim Duff (2nd) and Beaton Clubb (3rd) could lapse
into it.  Aberdeen is jocularly referred to as Furry Boots City, the
inhabitants being thought of as going around asking, of something they have
lost or misplaced, "Furry boots is it?"  My great aunt Maggie was fond of
telling me the Aberdonians "cried the laddies loons and cried the lassies
quines."  She was born and bred in Port Glasgow.   Her use of "cried" for
"called" is rarely if ever heard nowadays.  In the 70s, my Dad and I visited
an elderly (95) relation in deepest Ayrshire. She told us, of a lady she
knew, that she was "criet efter her mither's mither." Which is to say, "
named for her mither's mither."  Some country areas in Ayrshire are still
quite broad.