[BITList] Israel News from IDF

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 3 12:56:01 BST 2010

John,

No sooner had the news broken, than the BBC were telling as there were "activists" aboard the vessels. I asked Janet what an activist is - she said she doesn't know, so I'm stuck.  Not only activists, but "trouble makers".  Though the BBC were quoting an Israeli commentator re the troublemaker bit, they made no comment on the use of the term.  Apparently there were people aboard the vessels who took exception to being invaded by soldiers firing guns, hence : "troublemakers".  So 10 of the troublemakers were shot dead and others injured.  I'd bet any amount of money every casualty was a troublemaker.  So the activists and residual troublemakers were taken into custody at gunpoint and transported to Israel where they were imprisoned.  Then they were "deported", just as if they had effing well gone there of their own accord.  What a wonderful morass of utter bullshit.  Two letters appeared in The Herald - the first, from "Jews for a just peace", deplored the attack on the ships in no uncertain terms.  The second, inevitably, was from M. Green, a strident member of a Glasgow Zionist claque.  He trotted out his usual potted history of Israeli-Palestinian relations - we know his version off by heart - and finished with a glib half nod in the direction of the dead - "While not wishing to understate the tragic outcome .... there is a need for rational thinking instead of knee-jerk condemnation of Israel."

One bizarre result of the massacre in Cumbria is that it is probably a good time to take the media focus off the above