[BITList] (no subject)

KENNETH567 at aol.com KENNETH567 at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 21:26:52 BST 2010

As true today as it was then………..

Keep this in mind the  next time you are about to repeat a rumour or spread
gossip.

In ancient  Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was widely lauded for his
wisdom.

One day  an acquaintance ran up to him excitedly and said, "Socrates, do
you know what I  just heard about Diogenes?"

"Wait a moment," Socrates replied, "Before  you tell me I'd like you to
pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter  Test."
'Triple  filter?" asked the acquaintance.

"That's right," Socrates continued,  "Before you talk to me about Diogenes
let's take a moment to filter what you're  going to say. The first filter is
Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what  you are about to tell me is
true?"

"No," the man said, "Actually I just  heard about it."

"All right," said Socrates, "So you don't really know if  it's true or not.
Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is  what you are
about to tell me about Diogenes something good?"

"No, on the  contrary..."

"So," Socrates continued, "You want to tell me something  about Diogenes
that may be bad, even though you're not certain it's  true?"

The man shrugged, a little embarrassed. Socrates continued, "You  may still
pass the test though, because there is a third filter, the filter of
Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about Diogenes going to be useful to  me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "If what you  want to tell me is neither True
nor Good nor even Useful, why tell it to me or anyone at  all?"
The man was  bewildered and ashamed. This is an example of why Socrates was
a great  philosopher and held in such high esteem.
It also explains why  Socrates never found out that Diogenes was knocking
off his wife.