[BITList] strathnaver

CT's x50type at cox.net
Thu Jul 22 15:16:45 BST 2010

john,

I was idling away looking thro my email archive, when I came across this from you.............

On 19/04/2010, at 12:12 AM,

My Dad took a job just outside Calcutta in 1946. He went out on the 'Strathnaver' that was the first vessel supposedly to take out civilians after the war.

My mother and Mike went out on the 'Franconia' some 9 months later.

I was searching for something yesterday, when I came across this S.S. "Strathnaver" beer tankard [long forgotten and never used].

the tankard was acquired when I, along with 4 or 5 other young sahibs, returned to UK as passengers on the "Strathnaver" in 1962, after 30 plus months before the mast on eastern service.

I remember we had a really great 3 weeks and got back to Tilbury on a bloody freezing January morning.

we stopped off in Cairo and visited the pyramids, etc. here's a photo of me and mike kneebone [national and grindlays bank] having afternoon tea? in Cairo.

happy days

colin t