[BITList] Fwd: Fw: radio caller, a must listen

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 18 10:34:56 BST 2010

Dave,

Both sides of the conversation say a lot about "America Today" - the calculated ridicule of the man with the mike, and the sad silliness of the lady -  Colin has dealt with the former - the problem lies in the existence of these radio and TV stations.  As to the lady - yesterday I came across something I'd taken down from a US beauty contest.

Man with mike : "Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the US on a world map.  Why do you think this is?"

Contestant : "I personally believe ... that yes Americans are unable to do so .... because ....some .... people out there in our nation that don't have that .... and I believe it's education like such as South Africa is and Eyeraq and .... everywhere like such as and I believe that they should .... our education over here in the US should help these .... they should help South Africa they should help Eyeraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."

I recall the man with the mike tried to milk it.

I have a niece in the US who was born here (has a UK passport), has visited here many many times and travelled all over it.  She is totally ignorant of how the world outside of the US ticks.  "Why don't you guys celebrate the 4th of July?" she once asked.