[BITList] John Coates - Telegraph

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Sat Jul 17 11:59:07 BST 2010

G'day Mike,

On 17/07/2010, at 7:30 PM, Michael Feltham wrote:

> John Coates had to get Sea Time as part of his training.  I wonder if Naval Architects do the same ?

I suppose so...

"After graduating in 1943 he immediately started his cadetship in the Royal Corps of Naval Constructors at Devonport and Greenwich Naval College. Coates served part of his required sea time on wartime Russian convoys and torpedo boats off the Norwegian coast. By 1949 he was working at the Naval Construction department in Bath where he developed new inflatable life rafts and life jackets, working with the US and Canadian navies, for which he was appointed OBE in 1955. "