[BITList] Fwd: Question

David Harvey dhbison at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 07:57:21 BST 2010

Way back when paddle steamers were all the go The Master, when berthing or
otherwise maneuvering, would stand on one of the paddle boxes. He would yell
his orders through a megaphone at the man on the tiller and the engineer
from here this position. There were times when he had to jump off the said
paddle box and dash to the other side. Then some bright spark thought a
bridge across the ship from paddle box to paddle box would help.
>From then it was only a short time until a wheel was mounted on the bridge
and then a compass right up until air conditioning was added today. Full
circle really as they had air conditioning right at the beginning.

Dave