[BITList] What's in a name? Is it whiskey or whisky?

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 19 15:59:59 GMT 2010

John,

I can't see why the Scots would call the drink whisky in imitation of the English pronunciation of the Irish Gaelic for "water of life" when there was already a handy version to imitate in the Scottish Gaelic.  On the few occasions I fancied one in a Scottish pub I asked for a whisky - my father would have asked for a half or a hauf.  Nowadays it would be "a wee half", since all of a sudden everything comes in "wee".  "Just have a wee seat," we are told.  "Would you like a wee cake with that?"  "I'll just be a wee minute."  "I'll just have a wee look."  Etc.  And it's always the ladies who say it.  In answer to the question, for serious drinkers there's only whisky or whiskey, Scotch or Irish - Jack Daniels, etc, is only for the trendy, the ones who drink Miller's Lite from the neck of the bottle and think it's beer.  The Danes always drink from the bottle, unless it's draught, but they are drinking real beer.