[BITList] Methethusalah got nothing on me

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 13 22:39:29 GMT 2010

Ron,

Why do some people think large cordless phones (the kind in some not very old films) are funny, ie, really funny?  Why is 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, even 90s technology and culture hilariously funny to these prats?  They don't think square riggers are funny. When I was a youngster in the 40s, I didn't think the culture of my parents and grandparents was in the least odd - so what has changed?  An old Model T Ford was just that, not an inferior version of whatever it was I saw on our streets.  What has changed is that the young are now persuaded yesterday's stuff is old and obsolete, so buy new.  Big and old equals naff, small and new equals trendy.  The trend setters even have a get out word that allows them to flog the old while portaying is as new - "retro".  People who would absolutely just die if seen with an old Sobell radio, will happily buy a "retro" Sobell radio, that being OK, 'cos it's like, retro.  Every bloody thing must be cool, or some such crap.  It is a paradox that "cool", a relic of 1930s jazz slang, is now seen as the modern way to be.  However, there are still some rebels around.  Our 18-year old granddaughter thinks decent pop music stopped at the time of Marilyn Monroe (Some Like It Hot is her favourite film), and that Al Bowlly and such as Rudy Valee are cool. So maybe there's still hope.