[BITList] more Drillship stuff

fs franka at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 13 00:40:03 GMT 2010

CT
one of the beauty's of working in Taiwan in the early 70's was that
though it was an American company we worked for the state department
wouldn't allow americans offshore in case the mainland Chinese took over
the rig, we were at times drilling within coee distance of the mainlands
coast which of course Taiwan claimed as theirs, so our crews were made
up of every nationality under the sun and I have found since that the
bigger the mix of nationality's on board the better the atmosphere on
board I suppose everyone makes allowances for everyone else
the Mississippi river boat captains certainly knew how to handle their
work boats when having to stand alongside the rig so that we could
snatch loads in rough weather without tying up whereas we found that
some of the Smit Lloyde boats spent more time trying to sink us
frank