[BITList] Drillship stuff

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 13:38:42 GMT 2010

Begin forwarded message:

Hi John,

Seem to have started an interesting correspondence for your group.

Here's a publicity photo (Ulstein) of a smaller anchor  handler showing off her thrusters,  plus one of my converted 15,000 ton tanker mentioned earlier, demonstrating her firepower - 3 remote controlled watercannons driven by her old steam cargo pumps which also provided a water curtain for the bridge structure.

In addition to her original Doxford,  she had 4 retractable azimuth thrusters fitted along the length of the hull and could be danced around the oceans like that anchor handler,  and parked alongside a production platform.  She had a helideck extension stretching 60ft aft of her stern,  with a control cab slung below the after end from which she could be driven back to a platform so that it could be evacuated in case of a disaster,  and then the ship would be rotated and the cannons played on the platform legs in an attempt to save them.

Note the flare in the top left of the photo.

Fortnight on - fortnight off,  by helicopter,  with air traffic control for Forties field on our bridge so we always made sure our relief flight was on time.
And we also got paid!

Chris

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.