[BITList] You're not going out dressed like that, are you? Snow joke, they did... | Mail Online

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 11 10:45:38 GMT 2010

One of the pictures has an enlarge button on it, but the young lady depicted is quite large enough.  These people are all around us, and they're idiots.  I've heard a tale that they don't take coats to clubs because they are often stolen (our granddaughter has lost two that way), but that will not stop them being found stiff and blue some night (granddaughter solved her problem by stopping going to clubs).  A fair number of adults have died of exposure in this freeze, and I exclude the ones who were on mountains.  A few years ago a chap in this town popped over his back fence in the early hours of the New Year, intending to run a hundred yards along the golf course and over the back fence of his pal along the road.  He froze to death.  I once took our dog for a late night walk up into the hills that start a few hundred yards from our house - the house is about 450 feet up.  It was cold, but calm, and there was a moon.  I ascended a big field from the road,  then went down a good way into a valley from where I could see nothing but distant lights, and at that point a blizzard driven by an icy wind came up from nowhere and the moon vanished. I was well clad, but I wasn't wearing a hat, so I put my collar up and rubbed my forehead hard till I got back up to the top.  It was a long 200 yards down to the road which was invisible - all I knew of it was that it was downhill and a good bit to the right for the only way through the fence.  By the time I got home I was absolutely frozen stiff and my teeth were chattering.  Why anyone would deliberately go out into such conditions inadequately clad beats me.  I was ambushed, so I have a kind of excuse.