[BITList] Traditional English spellings could be killed off byinternet, says language expert - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 2 21:52:57 GMT 2010

Mike,

Apart from the really asinine examples, much of this has been around for many years without changing anything.  When I was transcribing screeds of text in the absence of a photocopier, or where the book could not be photcopied, I used many abbreviations such cld (could), f (of), etc.  Roughly seaking, vowels were removed.  They used to call it speedwrite.  The trick was to make a fair translation of it before one forgot what the scribbles meant.