[BITList] Liverpool Echo.co.uk - News - Liverpool Local News -Liverpool school health and safety rules include coffee cupfilling ban

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 2 13:59:52 GMT 2010

A note in today's Herald tells us that Glasgow City Council, in the present season of ice and snow, limited its gritting to main roads on grounds of elfin safety - too dangerous for council employees to work.  I didn't believe it either, but it's true.  You couldn't make it up.

What next?  Hospitals refusing to admit sick people in case they have something catching?  All road traffic banned to reduce road deaths?

On a related line (all are symptomatic of institutional idiocy) - I read the other day about the experience of a chap whose 12-year old daughter happens to have the same name as an IRA member who is on the banned list.  Presumably this list is the one that did or did not contain the name of the failed Detroit bomber.  A typical plane journey for the man's family involves repeated interrogation by jobsworths, interminable phone calls, a process only terminated when an official with more sense than the rest shouts down a phone that she's a little girl.