[BITList] Fwd: [qsitecommunity] www.australiancurriculum.edu.au

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 26 11:03:16 GMT 2010

John,

The heart stops when one starts to read about the latest educational ploy,
especially when I see it contains the word "tranche", but "curriculum" is
correctly spelled, and I see the word "rigour" in it, so it can't be bad.  I
wish them well in their enterprise.

When I started school in 1938, an elderly lady (she had grey hair and was
called Miss Chalmers) said to us, "This is how to read," and we listened and
learned very quickly how to read.  We'd read sentences from the blackboard
in unison or be picked at random to read them from the book. Lesson 1 : "A
cat sat on the mat.  It is a cat, not a rat.  It is a fat cat."  I wouldn't
say "fat", but she didn't hold it against me.  The average classroom
nowadays is a blaze of colour - posters everywhere.  And they sit at little
tables, half of them with their backs to the front of the room, so teacher
has to walk round the place all the time in case the wee ones get cricks in
their necks.  We all faced the front, and the only distractions on the walls
were the 1-12 times tables (in my dad's day it was 1-15), the alphabet in
big letters, and the number diagrams - one dot for 1, two dots for 2, etc.
I got G+ for reading and spelling (spelling in the first class, for God's
sake), and G for writing, arithmetic and General Proficiency.  None of us
ever knew what General Proficiency was, but I seem to have been good at it -
by the time I left primary school I was VG at it.  My education wasn't
fashionable by modern standards but, along with my classmates, I was
literate and numerate by the age of  6 and a half, hence with a foot on the
road towards educating myself.  All Oz needs is a batch of grey-haired
spinster ladies.