[BITList] Poets' Corner - John Masefield - Selected Works

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 02:18:13 GMT 2010

G'day Hugh,

On 25/02/2010, at 1:15 AM, HUGH wrote:

<< Without looking at the link, I recall : Dirty British coaster with
a salt-caked smoke stack, butting through the Channel on the mad March
days, with a cargo of xxxxxx, road rails, pig lead, firewood, ironware
and cheap tin trays.  Nine out of ten on that verse anyway. I missed
Tyne coal, I see. >>

Well done - I couldn't do it all not. But the term quinquirene of
Nineveh has always stuck in my mind

<< This brings to mind literacy, as in a great percentage of pupils in
Scotland are leaving school deficient in it, so says today's Herald.
And yesterday I read that a similarly great percentage of teachers are
effectively innumerate. >>

True in Oz as well.

The teachers themselves don't know how to speak english. Students
can't even hold a pen properly.

Everyone now says "thuh apple" instead of "thee apple" - we can't win.
America has taken over the world with is crappy (shitty) TV like "The
Simpson' and "South Park".