[BITList] Apple removes 5,000 apps from App Store - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 23 15:30:24 GMT 2010

I've been writing programs since 1972, and I've never confused them with applications, or even apps.  A program was never a prog, or a pro.  The world is now chockfull of daft acronyms and half-baked made-up words that mean precisely eff all out of their narrow context.  Complication for the sake of it.  Back in the 70s we wrote a short program that put a sailor's face on the screen when the boss wakened up the computer (we didn't log on in those days).  This face winked, and "Hello, sailor", came up on the screen (only rudimentary sound).  I suppose the end result, not appreciated by him, was an app, but we were too behind the times to know it.