[BITList] Off Topic - Medals for UK MPs - More....

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 09:34:13 GMT 2010

Further to the controversy "Medals for UK politicians", I have just
received this from a friend in NZ

,….and they deny us the honour of wearing our PJMs,…..I’m lost for words

The link at the bottom will take you to the petition that I posted
earlier.

Subject: MEDALS for MP's!!!
To: undisclosed-recipients

MPs HAVE been condemned by ex-servicemen after accepting commemorative
medals for time spent with the Armed Forces.

Some MPs have received the awards for 10 years’ or more membership of
the Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme (AFPS).

The body allows politicians to spend around 22 days a year with the
Forces. The practice has been criticised by former servicemen,
families of personnel who have died in Iraq and a senior officer who
led British forces in Afghanistan.

Col Richard Kemp, was commander of British troops in the country in
2003, and campaigned for a medal for all those wounded in action but
was turned down by the Ministry of Defence.

He said: “It seems a bit rich to give a medal to an MP for visiting a
combat zone, yet the Government is not prepared to give a medal to
someone who has lost a leg or an arm in battle.” The AFPS medal is
made of silver and attached to a crimson, gold and green ribbon
representing the colours of the Lords, the Queen and the Commons.

It is an unofficial medal and is worn by recipients on the right breast.

MPs in the scheme – which is backed by the Ministry of Defence – are
given a uniform which includes a badge decorated with a portcullis,
the symbol of Parliament, and enter at the rank of major. They can
earn promotion to colonel and above, according to the number of
“training” days they attend. So far, around 200 MPs have participated
but only eight to 10 have served long enough to be eligible for the
award.

Soldiers are only awarded medals if they serve in a war zone, in
operations, or for long service or acts of conspicuous bravery.

The MPs’ medal ceremony has previously taken place in the Speaker’s
state dining room at the House of Commons, and is attended by senior
military officers. The Labour MP Frank Cook was presented with his
medal by Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup, the current Chief of the
Defence Staff. Other politicians to receive the award include the
Tories Roger Gale; James Gray; Edward Garnier QC, who is shadow
attorney general; and Julian Lewis. They have all reached the rank of
colonel or above.

Other Labour MPs known to have been given a medal include Andrew Miller.

“It is a bit vain to award yourself a medal just for spending time
with members of the Armed Forces,” said Bob Clay, 78, who served in
the Guards Independent Parachute Company for 22 years and is now a
Royal British Legion committee member in Lymington, Hampshire.

“It is like patting yourself on the back. What the troops want is real
support from politicians, not this sort of PR.”

Robert Hannaford, 76, who served in the Army Intelligence Corps in the
1950s and is now president of the Royal British Legion Club in
Margate, Kent, said: “I’ve always been sceptical about medals awarded
to people just for being in a certain place at a certain time rather
than for earning them on merit.”

The scheme is run by Sir Neil Thorne, a former Tory MP and former
colonel in the Territorial Army, with part-funding from the defence
industry. He started it in 1988 to give MPs a clearer idea of Forces
life.

Sir Neil defended the medal as recognition of long service and loyalty
to service personnel.

“What I am trying to get them to do is support the men and women in
the Armed Forces,” he said.

Mr Gale said: “I have got one medal from the scheme which I have worn
on two occasions. Of course I would never wear it on something like
Remembrance Sunday, because that’s for the bold who earned their
medals in combat.”

Mr Gray said he had never worn the medal in public and considered it a
“badge”.

The awarding of the medal has also attracted criticism from families
of servicemen killed in action.

Rose Gentle, whose son Gordon, 19, was killed in an attack on Army
vehicles in Iraq in 2004, said: “Of course it’s a good idea that MPs
visit troops and spend time trying to understand the Armed, Forces
because a lot of them don’t really understand the reality of what it
is like. But they don’t deserve a medal just for doing their job like
that.”

Mrs Gentle is due to receive her son’s posthumous Military Cross.

Reg Keys, whose son Tom was one of six Royal Military Police officers
killed in Iraq in June 2003, said: “For an MP to qualify for a rank
and a medal on the basis of a quick visit is excessive. It almost
cheapens medals that are awarded for real service and bravery.”

The UK National Defence Medal campaign, which wants medals for all who
have served the country since the Second World War, also believes the
award is unjustified. Terry Scriven, a co-chairman, said: “It is
outrageous that an MP can get what is effectively a Mickey Mouse medal
for little more than 22 days’ service when we have members who served
our country and got nothing.”

SO NOW GO TO THIS ADDRESS AND SIGN THE PETITION WHICH WILL BE SENT TO
PARLIAMENT

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/notompmedals/