[BITList] How do you spell BBC

Robbo macarob at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 4 23:53:04 GMT 2010

>From Alan Hart's site. <http://www.alanhart.net/thats-america/>

*	February 2, 2010

With thanks to ITN and the BBC's Gavin Esler, I simply can't resist giving
this little story wider circulation. It came to me in ITN's 1955 Club
Newsletter. (I receive it monthly as a member of the club).

The story as told by Gavin Esler and reported by the newsletter:

Recently, when I arrived in the USA from London I was stopped as usual by
the immigration authorities. I handed over my passport, my completed
immigration and customs forms, was fingerprinted and photographed.

"Why are you here?" the Homeland Security lady asked me.

"Because I am reporting on the President's scheduled announcement of a big
increase in US troop numbers in Afghanistan."

"Who do you work for?"

"The BBC."

"How do you spell that?"

Hmmm. A tricky one. How do you spell BBC?

"Er, B.B.C."

The lady looked at me.

"Do you have any identification?"

"You're holding my passport," I said, with a smile.

It's said that only nine percent of Americans have passports. A fact, if
true, I'm sure it is, that explains a lot.