[BITList] ID that

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 4 15:22:34 GMT 2010

Colin,

I believe the case of the Ayrshire man arrested in Ayrshire by Strathclyde Police in October last for blowing his nose would just cap the Tesco quiche incident.  It was in London, according to an American website with poor access to facts, giving them a chance to sound off about the quaint customs of the English. His trial has not yet taken place, unless it was in secret.  He was at the wheel of his van, stopped in a line of vehicles at a red light with his handbrake on.  He took out a tissue and blew his nose.  Result as above.  In Glasgow last week I ostentatiously blew my nose while passing two policemen, but they heeded it not, so it must be a traffic thing.  Just to show all is not lost, an unnamed police source was quoted as saying, "'Total nonsense like this is the very opposite of good policing. This officer (he who did the arrest) is known as PC Shiny Buttons for his lack of common sense approach to the job. It is supposed to be about serving and protecting the public - not embarking on some petty power trip."  PC Shiny Buttons also issued a £50 fixed penalty to a man who dropped a £10 note when coming out of a shop - for littering.  This morning I asked a lady employee of Marks & Spencer in Greenock if it would be OK for me to buy a Quiche Lorainne, even if it had cheese and onions in it.  Being sensible, she hadn't a clue what I was on about.