[BITList] 89?

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 26 19:26:13 GMT 2010

For a bad winter, how about 1946-1947? Check Wikipedia. I've checked my school record book, and I lost 50 days attendance that winter. We'd not long moved up the hill from the town to a new housing area - there was one bus an hour with a gearbox inadequate for the Clune Brae. Sometimes we had to get off and walk up the steep bits to let the bus make it, and that was in good weather.  We had no shops up here, none whatever - we depended on the bus to take us into town, or on a travelling shop with limited range and high prices.  But we survived, even though we had no TV to tell us how badly off we were and how that winter stood in the league table of past winters. We cut down trees, got cold, and had a great time sledging.  The long sledge runs on the hills around us are still there, all of them, but they lie neglected.