[BITList] Thought for the day!

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 20 14:02:11 GMT 2010

Frank,

We always (most of the time) donate to solo street musicians, though it's many a long day since the performance of one (a guitarist on the Stonegate in York one Christmas) inspired me to stop and listen for a while.  On another visit, same street, my mother-in-law, Alice, recognised a singer as an old acquaintance from back home, as indeed he turned out to be.  The same Alice met a woman she knew (she wasn't busking) on top of the Whistler in Canada.  On the questions raised by the indifference shown to Josuah Bell, a couple or three of generations have grown up who define themselves and the universe and everything by the decade in which they were born, 60s 70s, 80s, 90s, and the pop celebrity culture that grew up around them. All else is beyond their ken, as if they had signed a pledge to that effect.  Josuah Bell, who does he sing with?  In a way, it has always been with us to some extent.  In 1958 I was desirous of getting a record of Ruby Braff, the jazz cornettist.  On leave from BI I had a go in Greenock.  If it wasn't blank looks I got in record shops (there used to be 2 or 3 in Greenock at that time), it was, "Who dis he sing wi' ?"  Eventually I got the record (Ruby Braff Swings, London Records, Jazz Series - EZ-N19011) in Rotterdam, from a young shop assistant who knew instantly what I was after.  Having looked it out, I think I'll play it.