[BITList] Monty Sunshine - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 17 08:55:53 GMT 2010

Good God, Mike, soon there will be nobody left capable of playing that music as anything other than a pastiche with modern overtones.  I remember the Crane River band and Ken Colyer's religious dedication to the old "mouldy fig" music.  I didn't much care which side of the divide jazz was on, as long as it was played in my hearing.  Alan Sharp and I spent months searching for the Bunk Johnson recording of Moose March, with no luck.  When I did hear it many years later, on radio, it was nothing special.  When I was at sea, he came up to our house and requisitioned his half (he being the arbiter) of the collection. I've still got "my half", and the index to the whole, so I can at least reminisce about the missing items.  I don't think his half survived the break up of a romance, nor did my brother's Country and Western collection in similar circumstances.  One vivid memory of those days, c1955, is of a Humphrey Lyttleton concert in the old St Andrews Halls, Glasgow.  Bruce Turner, the Aussie sax player, was in the band, which was sacreligious enough (a sax in the lineup, not an Aussie in it), but to make matters worse for some, they played Onions.  One long haired and bearded gent in a very hairy jersey could contain himself no longer - each time the band shouted "Onions !", he stood up and shouted "Rubbish !".  On my Lyttleton CD they don't shout "Onions !"  Strange.