[BITList] Fwd: True Position Tolerance

John Feltham wantok at me.com
Wed Dec 15 00:05:19 GMT 2010

Gentlemen,

I expect a barrage of responses which I forward to my correspondent.

:-)

ooroo

Begin forwarded message:

From: Harshawardhan_Bosham Nimkhedkar <bosham at gmail.com>
Date: 15 December 2010 1:16:12 AM AEST
To: avinash Sahasrabudhe <avinash.sahasrabudhe at gmail.com>
Subject: True Position Tolerance

see if can you answer this, please; if you understand it, that is.

-- H

----- Original Message ----- From:
True Position Tolerance

We are having a meeting this morning on the true position tolerancing of sheet metal parts on engineering drawings (I asked for it).

We have been using the concept per MIL-STD-8 since 1949. During WW II and until 1949, we used the Rolls Royce concept--even though the 3rd Projection of drawings was there, the dimensioning of parts was not a problem. (The Brits project the views differently than we do in the US and Canada).

I don't know what Oz uses on drawings nor do I know what South Africa. uses. India may use 3rd Projection???

Some of our sheet metal fabricators in the US and Canada still have a hard time with the concept of True Position Tolerancing and Dimensioning.  Machine shops have no problem. They have been using NC (numerical control) machines for years and TP & D is perfect for a computer driven lathe, etc.