[BITList] Offshore Safety Report

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 9 12:24:11 GMT 2010

pretty scary reading, I decided that I didn't need Transocean 5 days
into my induction When I left JDC though we had managed 5 years with out
a lost time accident and that was without massaging the reports or
figures so it can be done
frank

    http://theghostlygalleon.com/?page_id=10

    Check the link to the article I pasted below. Can't say we don't
    know about what's going on these days. I see it all the time.
    Question is, where does it stop!

        Safety Cover-Ups Lead to Fatalities
        <http://theghostlygalleon.com/?p=8>

    Posted on November 30, 2010 <http://theghostlygalleon.com/?p=8> by
    galleon1 <http://theghostlygalleon.com/?author=1>

    <http://theghostlygalleon.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/wPICT0010.jpg>

    Rob Carroll

    During my six years of employment with Diamond Offshore, it didn?t
    take me long to realize that there was something rotten in Denmark
    (actually Houston) and it had to do with corrupt, tyrannical and
    greed-based management. There were serious safety concerns and
    intolerable working conditions that my co-workers and I were
    habitually subjected to but in many cases some of us were afraid to
    speak up about out of fear of being arbitrarily and capriciously
    fired. It was a management by fear and intimidation taken to a level
    that I had never seen before. It was a management system that
    inundates its employees with NAZI type propaganda about how
    committed the Company is to safety and then promotes its safety
    record to potential customers with bogus safety statistics and
    motivates corporate executives to skimp on safety by paying them
    huge bonuses not to exceed their inadequate budgets.

    After the Deepwater Horizon blowout, there has been a lot of
    information and testimony coming to the surface showing how these
    same management tactics used by Diamond Offshore that keeps their
    employees in unrelenting fear of losing their jobs for questioning
    working conditions and raising important safety issues was also used
    by Transocean. According to some of the blowout survivors, it was
    one of the major factors that led to the rig blowing up.

    During the few weeks preceding the Deepwater Horizon Blowout,
    Diamond Offshore began having a number of serious injuries on some
    of their rigs in Brazil. The reason for many of these injuries was
    because Diamond had a lot of rigs arriving in Brazil for the first
    time and they were sending a lot of local Brazilian employees out to
    the rigs that had never worked offshore before without giving them
    enough new-hire training before hand.

    Because so many of Diamond?s rigs were arriving in Brazil at one
    time, the area manager, Mickey Welch, ordered supervisors on some of
    his rigs to sign off on competency papers prematurely on new
    employees so that they could be transferred to the arriving rigs.
    Mickey, as some of you may recall, is the area manager that was
    involved in a Diamond Offshore scandal in the US where some of his
    associates went to federal prison before Diamond transferred him to
    Brazil.

    The supervisors of course were reluctant to simply sign off on the
    new-hires? competency papers knowing that it was a serious safety
    risk and against their better judgment but did so anyway because
    they knew they would be fired if they didn?t. The new employees were
    transferred to the arriving rigs and employees that had never worked
    a day offshore in their lives were sent out to the rigs such as the
    Ocean Whittington and Ocean Yorktown to replace them.

    While investigating the numerous injuries that were occurring on the
    rigs, the corporate managers in operations and safety did what they
    have always done and began to look at their subordinates to find
    scapegoats to blame for their mistake of sending so many new people
    to the rigs at one time without giving them the proper training and
    ordering supervisors to fraudulently sign competency papers.

    One of these injuries happened just before I arrived on the Ocean
    Yorktown in Brazil to start my 28 day hitch in April of this year.
    An American driller was critically injured and had to be medevaced
    off of the rig. The brief verbal report I received from my partner
    concerning the incident when I arrived on the rig was that Houston
    was handling the investigation because the driller had used the
    wrong safety equipment and that Houston was blaming him for the
    accident.

    I thought something was extremely wrong that there was no written
    report of the incident on the rig. A rig incident investigation team
    is always required to investigate and write a report showing the
    root cause of the injury and safety reps have to review the incident
    with all crew members. I couldn?t understand why there was no
    incident report and why nobody on the rig seemed to know any of the
    details of the injury.

    A few days into my hitch, I received a call from the safety manager
    in the Houston office accusing the driller for causing his own
    injury by using the wrong safety equipment and accusing the safety
    reps for not doing their jobs by letting him do so. I realized later
    that the incident report had been concealed from the rig and that he
    was fishing for information to see how much I knew about the incident.

    I immediately suspected another scapegoat/cover-up situation and I
    correctly thought that the safety manager was looking for someone to
    blame in order to cover up the failed company safety policies that I
    had seen Diamond do so many times before. At that point, I couldn?t
    argue with him about the details of the injury. I did complain to
    him about the lack of training that the new employees were receiving
    before coming to the rig and I advised him that this lack of
    training was the cause for the high number of injuries that were
    occurring on the rigs.

    I was fully aware that raising this kind of an issue could cost me
    my job by Dennis Bailey who incessantly accuses all of his
    subordinates of not doing their jobs in order to cover up his own
    failures or the failures of upper management?s policies and
    procedures. Shortly after that phone call I was informed that  he
    was sending out a safety supervisor from the Houston office to the
    rig, ostensibly to assess the safety situation on the rig but I
    later learned that he was worried about what I knew about the
    driller?s incident investigation.

    Two weeks after that phone
    <http://linkscontent-d1.com/getReturn.php?id=0&q=15&check=71d866a77f81d539035e536998e1a4e1>
    call, I was able to conduct my own investigation into the incident
    when some of the people involved returned to the rig. I discovered
    without question that the driller was working with a brand new crew
    that had never set foot on the rig before. The driller was having to
    do work in a riding belt in the derrick that none of his hands knew
    how to do. When he completed the work in the derrick, he signaled to
    one of the new men operating the airhoist to lower him down but
    instead he raised him up causing his harness to snag which caused an
    accident that nearly killed him. He had to be medevaced off of the
    rig and it had absolutely nothing to do with the ?wrong safety
    equipment?. This was the worst corporate lie, sham and cover-up I
    had ever seen from any company I had ever worked for in my life.

    After completing my 28 day hitch and arriving home from the Ocean
    Yorktown in May of this year, I was still grieving over the eleven
    people on the Deepwater Horizon that had lost their lives in the
    Gulf of Mexico explosion when I received an email from a co-worker
    telling me that two of Diamond?s American employees on the Ocean
    Ambassador had just lost their lives in another offshore Brazil
    accident. Two Brazilians were also critically injured in that incident.

    Since the Ocean Ambassador was also being swamped with new-hires and
    with workers whose competency papers had been fraudulently signed
    under the orders of Mickey Welch, I wondered if this was going to be
    another situation where management was going to blame the victims
    and the crew instead of blaming themselves for not wanting to spend
    money for the proper training of new-hires and to protect themselves
    from the lawsuits that were certain to follow. Nothing would have
    surprised me at that point since the safety Brazil manager had led
    an investigative team that blamed the death of the Ocean Alliance?s
    electrical supervisor in an electrocution fatality several years
    earlier as being a ?suicide?.

    That?s right, this is the kind of mentality we are dealing with
    here. The only possible reason why the Company would keep such an
    illiterate manager around, so cunning and devious and yet so devoid
    of common sense, is because they have been using him for years like
    a puppet on a string to falsely accuse his direct reports and others
    in order to deflect blame away from the decision makers.

    It was only a couple of days after I learned of the two fatalities
    on the Ocean Ambassador when I realized just how far Diamond was
    willing to go to cover up their culpability for the accidents that
    were occurring. The director of Diamond?s Safety Department, who is
    also over the Claims Department, called me at my house and was upset
    about the handover notes that I had left for my partner when I left
    the rig. The safety supervisor that was sent to the rig to spy on me
    had sent him a copy of the handover notes that I had left for my
    relief. In my handover notes, I had left detailed information about
    what I had found out and who I had talked to concerning the
    driller?s injury. The safety director, worried that I was about to
    blow the lid off of the cover-up, let me know that he wasn?t happy
    with my job performance and that my services were no longer needed
    at Diamond Offshore .

    How convenient to be able to reduce corporate liability for failure
    to maintain a safe work environment by having the Director of Claims
    also functioning as the Director of Safety. This puts him in a
    position with the ability and strong motivation to cause the root
    cause of incident investigations to be falsified to show that the
    accidents were the victims fault in order to cover up negligent
    management decisions. It puts the company in a more favorable light
    with their customers who are paying Diamond multibillions of dollars
    every year and it casts an unfavorable light on the victims seeking
    justice in a courtroom. In addition, the director of safety has the
    ability to falsely accuse and fire any safety rep for ?poor
    <http://linkscontent-d1.com/getReturn.php?id=0&q=5808&check=ddefa8ef8162443bab2ffef854165f25>
    job performance? that has the integrity to expose their fraudulent
    schemes.

    Covering up the real reason as to why an incident occurred, causes
    incidents with the same root cause to have a high probability of
    re-occurrence and can lead to even more serious injuries or to the
    tragic, preventable fatalities of rig workers. In the driller?s case
    on the Yorktown, there was an attempt to cover up the root cause of
    inadequately training new-hires and overwhelming the rigs? abilities
    to safely train them. Had the real root cause been revealed, then
    management would have had to admit that they just didn?t want to
    spend the money for properly training their workers out of the
    greed-inspired concern that they would lose money
    <http://linkscontent-d1.com/getReturn.php?id=0&q=4440&check=d4561b72902e5dff716ff5d6a34edffe>
    in their annual bonuses for exceeding their budgets. So they entered
    into an agreement with each other to blame the victim, OIM?s and the
    safety reps in order to elude detection of their own culpability.
    When the safety manager suspected a safety rep was about to expose
    their conspiracy, he quickly sent one of his groveling worms out of
    the Houston office to the rig to follow the safety rep around for a
    week to determine if he was a threat to their scheme. When they
    found out that not only was the safety rep investigating the
    incident but had facts and statements that contradicted their lies
    then they falsely accused him of poor job performance and fired him
    over the telephone when he arrived back at his home.

    What made matters worse was that the false reporting and acting on
    the root cause for the spike in injuries that were occurring in
    Brazil did not actually start on the Ocean Yorktown. They started on
    the Ocean Whittington a few weeks earlier when a new man had his leg
    amputated by the auger in the shale shaker. Had the root cause of
    the injury been honestly reported and acted upon that the rig was
    being overwhelmed with insufficiently trained new-hires, then the
    driller would not have been injured on the Ocean Yorktown a few
    weeks later. Furthermore, had the true root cause of the driller?s
    injury on the Ocean Yorktown been honestly reported and acted upon
    and the cover-up not taken place then it might had prevented the
    tragic fatalities of two Americans and the critical injuries of two
    Brazilians involved in a lifeboat accident on the Ocean Ambassador a
    few weeks after that.

    I do not know all of the details of the Ocean Ambassador accident.
    However, if it can be shown that sending insufficiently screened and
    trained new workers to the Ambassador was a factor in the fatalities
    and the injuries that occurred, then anyone in the Company who had
    the knowledge and responsibility to act on the true root causes of
    the Whittington and Yorktown injuries and failed to take corrective
    action or participated in any way in the root cause cover-ups then
    they should be criminally prosecuted on two counts of manslaughter
    in both the United States and Brazil. If anyone off of the
    Ambassador has relevant information concerning the recent fatalities
    then please contact me and if the information reveals that
    violations of the Seafarers Manslaughter Act did occur, then I will
    file reports with the US Attorney General?s Office, the Brazilian
    authorities, the International Labor Organization and the
    International Maritime Organization (see Title 18 Section 1115 of
    the U.S. Criminal Code).

    I have to say that I am disappointed, as many of you are, that
    Diamond has sunk to these depths of greed and depravity. I was used
    to it condoning and encouraging really bad management practices such
    as allowing rig manager Quickdraw McGraw to habitually call the rig,
    slobbering drunk at times, cursing out the OIM and threatening to
    run off everybody on the rig just to make his pathetic self feel
    important. Bad management will be dealt with more closely in the
    next Galleon post entitled /A Time For Unions. /But even Jimbo?s
    behavior doesn?t begin to compare to the potentially
    blood-stained-hands of everyone that was involved in the root cause
    cover-up on the Ocean Yorktown. It is a shame that some of the
    managers in Diamond Offshore?s Sanhedrin have sold their birthrights
    for a bowl of soup and their wormy minions will falsely accuse
    anyone for thirty pieces of silver
    <http://linkscontent-d1.com/getReturn.php?id=0&q=5715&check=ecacb5bf7e9c5ce6db31bd14447ee940>
    and a chance to be the boss one day.

    Having said that and having set the record straight from the lies
    and propaganda that the company always generates after they have
    fired someone under a pretext, I feel privileged that I have had a
    chance to work with so many hardworking and dedicated people that I
    have made friends with over the years that make their living working
    offshore. This website will be a catalyst that will turn their
    working conditions around for the better and will be a freight train
    that CEO Humpty Dumpty can?t stop.

    <http://theghostlygalleon.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/wDSC02544.jpg>

    Ocean Whittington

              Christmas Day 2007: Diamond Offshore rig managers unable
              to find company electricians to work on the Ocean
              Whittington due to intolerable working conditions. Safety
              is thrown out the window and an unscreened and
              inadequately trained third-party electrician is brought
              onboard the rig to fill in. While working in the Ballast
              Control room
              <http://linkscontent-d1.com/getReturn.php?id=0&q=3541&check=739919193ee432af67f47bb26e262f86>
              the electrician nearly capsized the rig which could have
              killed everyone onboard. Safety Manager Dennis Bailey
              immediately went into operation cover-up and scapegoat and
              falsely accused two safety reps for not doing their jobs-
              just as he had done to scores of his other subordinates in
              the past.

    John favaloro

        Its about to hit the fan boys,,,,,,go to the website and read
        both articles

        Shawn DeGeer
        God Bless
        Phil 4:13