[BITList] the olden days

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 9 11:02:27 GMT 2010

Colin,

As far as I can make out, the dumb notion that fings were always they way they are when we first realise we are alive, is of recent origin.  People of a certain age, the kind who grew up thinking not shaving can be a thing called designer stubble, are to found on TV quiz shows saying things like, "Before my time", in lieu of an answer.  This, they fondly believe, excuses their crass ignorance of the entire sweep of world history, excepting only the very wee slice they recall - the rest isn't worth their consideration.  I heard one enthusing about "the music of the 90s".  "Wow," I said, "that's going far back."  Even further back than Golden Oldies of the 21st C.

However,  on the subject matter :

Permission to leave a table wasn't a feature of my childhood, certainly not during WW2.  One stayed until it was all eaten by everyone, on a like it or lump it basis.  I did deliver papers, but the money went to Mum. We had our first wireless in 1945, first house with an inside toilet (and a bath !!  and electric light !!) in 1946, first TV in 1954.  First telephone in the 60s, and it wasn't in anyone's room, but in the hall, where (apparently) God meant phones to be. From an early age we knew the music of the late 1800s and onwards, having heard it sung by our elders.  Everything was before our time, but we didn't sit and bask in the realisation. Though I didn't experience it, I feel nostalgic when I hear the music of the 20s and early 30s.

When I resumed life in the BI after I got my 2nd's ticket, late 1958, phone communication between my then fiancee and I involved whatever facilities were installed on the ship in RA Docks or wherever, and the phone in the house of my folks' long-suffering next door neighbours, a party line, of course. Otherwise, letters - and I've still got our entire correspondence.

My wife and I married in 1961, owned our first bed and first TV in 1967, first house in about 1995, first credit card in about 1995, last credit card in about 2005.  I got my Dad's old car in the 80s when he stopped driving.  I stopped driving when it's successor refused to go again.  My first pizza was called a pizza, sometime in the 80s - I still don't rate the pizza all that highly.