[BITList] Magic at Ayers Rock - These are unexpectedly STUNNING photos!

franka franka at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 8 14:35:57 GMT 2010

Australia 's iconic Uluru(Ayers Rock) is barely recognisable in a series
of photographs taken during torrential rain earlier this month. For
local photographer Peter Carroll, it was a 20 year wait to capture rain
on the rock

Uluru as you've never seen it

Uluru as you've never seen it before (Reproduced with permission: Peter
Carroll)

Water cascades down an Uluru rock

Water cascades down an Uluru rock face (ABC Local: Peter Carroll)

After the rain at Uluru (Reproduced

After the rain at Uluru (Reproduced with permission: Peter Carroll)

Magic at Uluru (Reproduced with

Magic at Uluru (Reproduced with permission: Peter Carroll)

Magic at Uluru (Reproduced with

Magic at Uluru (Reproduced with permission: Peter Carroll)

Magic at Uluru (Reproduced with

Magic at Uluru (Reproduced with permission: Peter Carroll)

Magic at Uluru (Reproduced with

Magic at Uluru (Reproduced with permission: Peter Carroll)

Magic at Uluru (Reproduced with

Magic at Uluru (Reproduced with permission: Peter Carroll)

Magic at Uluru (Image reproduced with

Magic at Uluru (Image reproduced with permission: Peter Carroll)

Local landscape photographer Peter Carroll was in the right place at the
right time when the rain came bucketing down earlier in the month.

Peter was at Yulara - the township near Uluru when he woke at 3am to the
sound of torrential rain.

"It has been a 20 year dream to see Uluru with water pouring down her
flanks," writes Peter in his blog, 'so there I lay tossing and turning
praying the rain would continue til the crack of dawn.'

Most longtime residents of Central Australia know that the sight of rain
on the rock is a rare phenomenon. For a landscape photographer, it's
gold. Before the sun had risen, Peter was out there with his camera.

"I had to calm myself a little bit. It was pretty momentous," says Peter.

"I went round to the general car park area where the climb is...and
that's where these white stripes started to reveal themselves, it was
pretty spectacular."

The result of Peter's work is a spectacular collection of images that
show Uluru in a whole new light. Barely recognisable with silver lines
snaking down the surface and eerie fog hovering - the images will no
doubt find a large audience. Several have already appeared on the front
page of /The Australian/.

Most of the shots were taken near the Mututjulu waterhole, says Peter,
and what he heard that morning was just as powerful as what he saw
through the lens.

"Once I got out of the car and started walking in, all the noises
started to take over," he says.

"When you hear that water rushing down the side, and plummeting over
cliffs, it really is a special sound. And because we've had so much rain
lately there's just hundreds of thousands of frogs around the place, it
was pretty magical."

"I've been down [to Uluru] a lot and whenever I'm down there it delivers
some special, special moment..I don't know what the inner workings of it
are on the human psyche but it's fairly powerful stuff."

Follow the link to Peter's blog to see more images and read the story in
his own words.

(Story taken from Rohan Barwick's interview with Peter Carroll on 783
Drive, ABC Alice Springs)

<http://www.incredimail.com/?id=606431&rui=110696506&sd=20101128>